Social Services Staff Support
Monday - Friday, 80 hours per pay period
Under the direction of the Department Manager of Social Services, assists with completing concrete tasks necessary to facilitate the smooth access of patients and families to agencies, transportation, and services within and Columbia Basin Hospital. Ensures that all services are delivered in accordance with the mission statement and values of Columbia Basin Hospital.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Contacts agencies (Home Health, Durable Medical Equipment, Outpatient Centers, etc.) to make post discharge arrangements for patients.
- Notifies designated facilities (Nursing Homes, Rehabilitation facilities, Skilled Nursing Facilities, etc.) of need for admission, verifies bed availability, and updates facilities of patient’s discharge condition and final discharge plans.
- Prints/copies sections of the chart to fax or send to accepting agencies/facilities to ensure continuation of patient’s treatment plan.
- Arranges transportation as directed by the Social Services Manager.
- Notifies Manager of any potential delays of moving the patient through the continuum.
- Maintains accurate, up-to-date documentation in the medical record and departmental records.
- Collaborates with other team members for optimal information throughout the continuum.
- Completes social history on all swing bed and LTC patients and other discharge planning documentation as directed by Social Services.
- Communicates with patients to coordinate plan of care.
- Assists with insurance reviews for Utilization Management.
- Assists in Admission process for all areas of facility.
- Assists with successful transition of care from inpatient to outpatient settings including: coordinating with specialty and primary providers and reviewing home care environment.
- Addresses needs and concerns with acute and observation patients and communicates those needs with care staff.
- Assists manager with assessing patient and family’s unmet health and social needs, and helps assure patient is referred and connected with appropriate and available resources.
- Assists patients/residents with all Social Services needs as directed by Social Services Manager.
- Demonstrates knowledge of infection control standards and adheres to the guidelines for handwashing, standard precautions, and bloodborne pathogens as required by DOSH.
- Maintains confidentiality of all hospital and patient information at all times as observed by peers and management.
- Demonstrates awareness of safe work habits and maintains a safe working environment by adhering to department and hospital policies, including but not limited to, zero lift, SDS, body mechanics and ergonomics.
- Demonstrates compliance to all Human Resources policies, including but not limited to, attendance, dress code, smoking, and name badges.
- Attends department meetings and participates in mandatory education.
- Conducts self in a professional manner and is pleasant, respectful, and courteous in all interactions with patients, families, staff, and other visitors to the hospital.
- Promotes effective working relationships and works cohesively with employees both within and outside of the department.
- Understands and demonstrates the mandatory reporting process for abuse or neglect as required by the Department of Social and Health Services.
Baccalaureate degree in social work or related science preferred. Two years college or AA degree required. Experience providing direct care in a health care setting or agency is preferred. Position requires working knowledge of the basic services provided by acute care hospitals, nursing homes, and related facilities. Must demonstrate exceptional interpersonal and communication skills and basic computer skills. Must have respect for human dignity and privacy and a desire to work with the aged population.
Open until filledApply for this job