MT or MLT
Full time, variable days
Days / Evenings, variable days
The Medical Lab Technician is responsible for the professional application of the principles, theories and techniques of medical technology to produce timely and reliable results, which aid the clinicians in their diagnosis and treatment.
DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Registers patients and performs capillary puncture, venipuncture, and arterial puncture.
- Rotates in the different laboratory sections as assigned performing routine laboratory testing; these rotations may include a weekend rotation or evening shift rotation. Provides emergency on call coverage, as needed/assigned.
- Performs the functions of a Phlebotomist/Lab Assistant.
- Participates in the training and orientation of job shadows and students within the department.
- Maintains professional growth and development through seminars, workshops and professional affiliations, and internal CE opportunities, which could be applied as certificate maintenance credits.
- Ensures that additional accountabilities, as may be required by management, be handled in a manner necessary to meet organizational standards.
- Demonstrates knowledge of infection control standards and adheres to the guidelines for handwashing, standard precautions, and bloodborne pathogens as required by DOSH.
- Maintains confidentiality of all hospital and patient information at all times as observed by peers and management.
- Demonstrates awareness of safe work habits and maintains a safe working environment by adhering to department and hospital policies, including but not limited to, zero lift, SDS, body mechanics and ergonomics.
- Demonstrates compliance to all Human Resources policies, including but not limited to, attendance, dress code, smoking, and name badges.
- Attends department meetings and participates in mandatory education.
- Conducts self in a professional manner and is pleasant, respectful, and courteous in all interactions with patients, families, staff, and other visitors to the hospital.
- Promotes effective working relationships and works cohesively with employees both within and outside of the department.
- Understands and demonstrates the mandatory reporting process for abuse or neglect as required by the Department of Social and Health Services.
POSITION QUALIFICATIONS:Associates degree in chemical, physical, biological science, or technical science in medical laboratory technology with one year of clinical internship is required. National certification as an MLT (ASCP or equivalent) is preferred. Three to five years of hospital experience is preferred. Position requires competency with laboratory equipment and computer software. Must be able to demonstrate problem solving and critical thinking skills and the ability to seek resources for direction. Must show accountability for self while practicing within legal and ethical guidelines, and be able to care for customers/patients across the age continuum.
Open until filledApply for this job