Monday - Friday, dayshift, 10AM - 5PM
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
COLLECTION TRANSACTION DUTIES (including but not limited to):
- Works with patients to set up payment arrangements for large balances and monitors accounts to see that arrangements are followed.
- Explains Evergreen Billing Solutions (EBS) role and process to patients when account payment agreement cannot be reached and forwards account information to EBS for placement. Tracks reports and accounts placed with EBS to ensure program is successful.
- Downloads and transmits file electronically to Evergreen Billing Solutions and Evergreen Financial Services. Reviews transmission reports and confirmation for problems/errors to ensure all accounts were received by the appropriate party.
- Follows up on past due accounts, which includes sending out collection letters, statements, and telephone contact. Reviews statements for accuracy.
- Prepares and submits a write off listing of Bad Debts to the Director of Business Services timely for approval and completes the postings necessary to remove balances from patient accounts.
- Works closely with the Director of Business Services and the Hospital Collection Agency to resolve any disputes.
- Keeps a log of all correspondence with Collection Agency and reporting of payments on accounts after balances have been turned to collection.
- Reviews Charity Care applications, checks income verification, and assists Director of Business Services in making determination of eligibility.
- Trained as an In-person Assistor to encourage and assist community residents in obtaining Health care coverage thru the Washington Benefit Exchange portal as indicated in the Affordable Care Act.
- Files Estate claims on deceased patients timely.
- Processes bankruptcies and maintains records on bankrupt customers.
- Processes mail returns, contacts patients for corrected information and re-mails correspondence.
- Records information on Medicare Bad Debt report and Charity Care logs, and deposit posting log, as applicable.
- Demonstrates knowledge of collection rules and regulations as they pertain to our accounts. Implements changes, as necessary, to keep the District in compliance.
- Appears in Court for Billing/collection disputes as a witness for the District.
- Checks patient accounts and generated billings to ensure accuracy, watches for any potential fraudulent situations, and reports to Director of Business Services or Administration. Handles the correction of any errors noted.
- Mails printed bills to appropriate payors, addresses envelopes, folds, and inserts bills into envelopes.
- Transmits claims electronically to various payors with electronic capabilities. Reviews transmission reports for problems/errors and ensures claims were received by appropriate party.
- Demonstrates knowledge of billing regulations of each Payor and uses to assure patient balances are accurate and patient is being billed correctly.
- Sends out re-billings as requested by payors/patients.
- Reviews remittance advices to make sure the patient is properly billed for the
correct dollar amount and all denials/rebills are re-billed as appropriate. Enters data into computer to explain payments, denials, or re-bills.
- Ensures that payments received are paid per the contracts for each individual Insurance plan and contacts plan when payment is not paid correctly.
- Answers patient billing questions and works with patients to ensure accuracy of
- Prepares reports as necessary for different payors such as the Medicare or Medicaid Credit Balance Report.
- Works reports and keeps track of assigned accounts. Reviews Aging Analysis monthly and re-bills as necessary.
CASH TRANSACTIONS DUTIES (including but not limited to):
- Takes payments and writes up receipts with accuracy.
- Takes credit card payments and Electronic Fund transfers and assists Director of Business Services and Director of Finance in reconciling these accounts monthly.
CHARGE POSTING DUTIES (including but not limited to):
- Reviews and audits charge levels using Provider dictation and ER records to ensure Charges are appropriate to the services provided.
PAYMENT POSTING DUTIES (including but not limited to):
- Accurately posts and balances deposits and adjustments, batches, totals, and balances the individual posting batches to the batch log on a daily basis.
- Maintains an accurate file of all payments, adjustments, and charges.
- Records adjustments and denials on log as needed for Performance Improvement data.
OTHER DUTIES (including but not limited to):
- Works Credit Balances and processes refunds and overpayments with proper documentation.
- Participates in Performance Improvement studies and processes.
- Works closely with other office personnel to ensure accuracy of billing, admitting, and posting functions, and provides support and coverage for other positions.
- Assists Director of Business Services with projects and other assignments.
- Demonstrates willingness to be cross-trained to perform other job functions and backs up as necessary.
- Performs file downloads weekly for the 340B drug program.
- Complies with all District policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates knowledge of infection control standards and adheres to the guidelines for handwashing, standard precautions, and bloodborne pathogens as required by DOSH.
- Maintains confidentiality of all hospital and patient information at all times as observed by peers and management.
- Demonstrates awareness of safe work habits and maintains a safe working environment by adhering to department and hospital policies, including but not limited to, zero lift, SDS, body mechanics and ergonomics.
- Demonstrates compliance to all Human Resources policies, including but not limited to, attendance, dress code, smoking, and name badges.
- Attends department meetings and participates in mandatory education.
- Conducts self in a professional manner and is pleasant, respectful, and courteous in all interactions with patients, families, staff, and other visitors to the hospital.
- Promotes effective working relationships and works cohesively with employees both within and outside of the department.
- Understands and demonstrates the mandatory reporting process for abuse or neglect as required by the Department of Social and Health Services.
High school graduate with emphasis on business education is preferred. One year experience in a business related field with emphasis on business and customer service or prior experience within a hospital billing position is preferred. Must have working knowledge of routine office equipment, including but not limited to, computers, copy/fax/scanning machines and calculators. Must have working knowledge of routine clerical processes, including but not limited to, filing systems and accurate handling of cash transactions. Must have organizational skills and knowledge of windows based computer software programs (Microsoft Office, Excel and Word). Must be able to retain and understand billing and collection regulations and insurance contracts, maintain confidentiality, and build good public relations with patient, community, and staff. Must be able to be bonded.
Open until filledApply for this job