Full Time 80 Hrs Per Pay Period
Monday Through Friday 8am - 5pm
The Billing Clerk I is responsible for maintaining the billing functions of the Hospital District with timeliness and accuracy, ensuring that all money owed to the Hospital District is appropriately accounted for and collected. The Billing Clerk is responsible for treating all patients fairly and courteously when carrying out the duties of their position.
DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
BILLING DUTIES (including but not limited to):
- Checks computer generated billings to ensure accuracy, watches for any potential fraudulent situations, reports information to Director of Business Services or Administration, and handles the correction of any errors noted.
- Mails printed bills to appropriate payors, addresses envelopes, folds, and inserts bills into envelopes.
- Reviews all remittance advices to make sure the patient is properly billed for the
correct dollar amount and all denials/re-bills are re-billed as appropriate. Enters data into computer to explain payments, denials, or re-bills.
- Ensures that payments received are paid per the contracts for each individual insurance plan and contacts plan when payment is not paid correctly.
- Answers patient billing questions and works with patients to ensure accuracy of billing information.
- Works reports and keeps track of assigned accounts. Reviews Aging Analysis monthly and re-bills as necessary.
- Prepares reports as necessary for different payors such as the Medicare and Medicaid Credit Balance report and the Medicare Bad Debt spread sheet for Auditors.
- Transmits claims electronically to various payors with electronic capabilities. Reviews transmission reports for problems/errors and ensures claims were received by appropriate party.
- Demonstrates knowledge of billing regulations of each Payor and uses to assure patient balances are accurate and patient is being billed correctly.
- Sends out re-billings as requested by payors/patients.
CASH AND PAYMENT POSTING DUTIES (including but not limited to):
- Takes payments and writes receipts.
- Accurately posts and balances deposits and adjustments, batches, totals, and balances the individual posting batches to the batch log report on a daily basis.
- Tracks credit card payments and Electronic fund transfers and assists Business Operations Director and CFO in reconciling these accounts monthly.
- Reviews all remittance advices to make sure the account has been properly credited for the correct dollar amount. Enters data into computer to explain payments.
- Maintains an accurate file of all payments, adjustments, and charges.
- Records adjustments and denials on log as needed for Performance Improvement data.
- Works Credit Balances and processes refunds and overpayments with proper documentation
- Participates in Performance Improvement studies and processes.
- Works closely with other office personnel to ensure accuracy of billing admitting, and posting functions, and provides support and coverage for other positions.
- Assists Business Operations Director with projects and other assignments as needed.
- Demonstrates willingness to be cross-trained to perform other duties and backs other positions as necessary.
- Complies with all District policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates knowledge of infection control standards and adheres to the guidelines for handwashing, standard precautions, and bloodborne pathogens as required by DOSH.
- Maintains confidentiality of all hospital and patient information at all times as observed by peers and management.
- Demonstrates awareness of safe work habits and maintains a safe working environment by adhering to department and hospital policies, including but not limited to, zero lift, SDS, body mechanics and ergonomics.
- Demonstrates compliance to all Human Resources policies, including but not limited to, attendance, dress code, smoking, and name badges.
- Attends department meetings and participates in mandatory education.
- Conducts self in a professional manner and is pleasant, respectful, and courteous in all interactions with patients, families, staff, and other visitors to the hospital.
- Promotes effective working relationships and works cohesively with employees both within and outside of the department.
- Understands and demonstrates the mandatory reporting process for abuse or neglect as required by the Department of Social and Health Services.
$16.73 - $23.89
Open until filledApply for this job