Banana oatmeal cookies
Makes 24 servings.
Canola oil spray
3/4 cup unbleached flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1 cup quick-cooking oats (not instant)
1/3 cup raisins
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 large egg white
3 tablespoons butter (preferably unsalted), cut in 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
1 small banana, cut in 1-inch pieces
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Set baking racks in top and lower thirds of the oven.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Coat 2 baking pans or cookie sheets with oil spray.
- Whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and allspice in a mixing bowl.
- Mix in oats, raisins and nuts.
- In a blender on medium speed, mix egg white, butter and sugar until smooth.
- Blend in banana and vanilla until mixture is smooth.
- Pour banana mixture into bowl with dry ingredients, mixing with spatula until well-combined. Batter will be fairly stiff.
- Drop batter by walnut-size spoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets, 12 on each sheet. Space cookies at least 2 inches apart.
- Flatten them slightly with the back of a wet spoon, wetting spoon frequently between cookies, to make 2-inch cookies.
- Bake 10 minutes.
- Switch position of pans in oven.
- Bake an additional 5 to 8 minutes or until cookies are golden brown and almost firm in the center when pressed with a finger.
- Transfer cookies to a cooling rack and cool.
Stored in airtight container, these cookies keep up to 1 week.
Serving size: 1 cookie. Amount per serving: 76 calories, 3g total fat (1g saturated fat), 13g carbohydrates, 1g protein, less than 1g dietary fiber, 42mg sodium.